Frequently Asked Questions
Memories For Kids fulfills memories for the children of parents with terminal cancer. We rely on the generosity of our supporters and amazing donors to fulfill our memory requests.
Who is eligible?
- Memory recipients must have Stage IV terminal cancer
- Memory recipients must be able to communicate the wish and comprehend/participate in the memory experience
- Memory recipient must have at least one child under the age of 18 at the time of referral
What if I want to stay with family or have family/friends brought to me? How long can I/they stay?
- If the memory recipient wants family members or friends brought to them, they may stay as long as desired unless Memories For Kids must provide outside hotel accommodations/meals etc. In that case, the trip may only last 3-4 nights.
- As much as we’d like to assist with large, extended family trips, our limited resources make it impossible. Therefore, when bringing family to you, we must limit it to 2-3 people depending on available frequent flyer miles and request that all participants travel from one location.
How are airline tickets handled?
- For memories requiring air travel, we must raise donated frequent flyer miles. IT TAKES BETWEEN 25,000 – 80,000 DONATED MILES PER PERSON TO FLY WITH UNITED, DELTA, ALASKA OR CONTINENTAL AIRLINES. Family and friends are encouraged to donate miles online or by calling our office.
- If frequent flyer miles cannot be raised in time, flights may be purchased if funding allows.
- ALL MEMORY RECIPIENTS FLY ECONOMY CLASS.
- All flights are booked at least 14 days in advance in order for us to get the best prices on purchased tickets. Travelers must be flexible on their requested travel dates.
What if I require special medical assistance?
- Because we are not a medical foundation, WE CANNOT ASSIST WITH MEDICAL NEEDS SUCH AS AIR AMBULANCE TRANSPORTATION, OXYGEN, MEDICAL EQUIPMENT, TREATMENTS, NURSES AND AIDES.
- All medical assistance should be pre-arranged by your medical provider. This includes oxygen, wheel chairs, scooters, etc.
- We cannot arrange or provide for hospice care away from home, dialysis treatments, or nursing care while you are away.
- Should a memory recipient encounter a medical emergency while traveling we cannot assist with ambulance transportation, emergency room visits or hospital admissions. We cannot incur any additional costs deemed necessary for family members should their visit need to be extended while the memory recipient is hospitalized or with further arrangements if death should occur.
How long does it take to process a memory request?
- The verification process of your application may take up to four (4) weeks. Please make sure your application is completed and everything required has been submitted (please refer to checklist provided). Missing information will delay or halt your application.
All aspects of each memory are subject to Memories For Kids Board approval.
Please keep in mind – Memories For Kids reserves the rights to its sole and absolute discretion to cancel/change preparation or fulfillment of the Memory at any time after signing the Agreement if they feel the Memory will endanger the health or safety of the Recipient. Therefore, we ask that all memories be realistic for the Recipient and for Memories For Kids to fulfill.